Monday, April 6, 2009

Balance

Photobucket
Although the saying goes 'everything in moderation, including moderation,' this is something that takes a bit of discipline for me. I have tried to move away from the all-or-nothing tendencies that once inhabited my life and have for many years been learning how to establish more balance. It is a learning process I plan to continue tackling for the rest of my life. Well, I bring this up because recently (finally) I got a job. It has really been a long time coming. It has been nearly 4 1/2 years since I have had a job apart from being full-time Mommy. And let me tell you....I am sooooo happy about it. So it isn't the most glamorous of jobs (hosting and waiting tables yet again), but it is fun, gets me out of the house doing something with new people, interacting with community folk and at the end of it all I get to come back to my cozy home surrounded by the most precious people in my life with a little extra cash in my pocket. It makes the tough days easier because I know there is relief in sight, and it makes the good days even better because I am refreshed, excited and relaxed. So, I am actually a better mom because I am now gone a little bit more. And the funniest thing about it is - the joke is on me. All this time I have felt that I didn't want to work because I didn't want to be away from my angels that long and assumed that they of course felt the same way and would somehow be better off because I was home with them all the time. Well, the kiddos are thriving these days. I guess they need a break from me from time to time too. They appreciate me more now that I am not always there and they get to spend lots more quality time with Daddy making up their own routines with him. So we all win. Yes it is hard to leave them when I walk out the door (except of course when they haven't napped and are all cranky...he he), but I feel so much more balanced when I am able to do something that is making a difference for all of us.
Here we are enjoying a wonderful family night at home - roasting marshmallows over the fire, enjoying the emerging spring weather and our amazing little family unit...Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I am so so glad that you are enjoying your job and I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete